Wedding Countdown Ticker

Saturday, March 20, 2010

The Power of a Ring

I have always loved jewelry...especially rings. I can remember sitting in Church on Sunday mornings and trying on the rings of my Mom and Grandmother. I loved going to my Great-Grandmother's house because she had tons of rings (thanks, Avon). I remember in Junior High when I think we thought we should have a ring on every finger. I even had a thumb ring at one point in time. I have had hundreds of rings through my lifetime. Key word "had".... the rings never held an overly great value to me. The rings I wore were more fashion than meaningful. I chose them based on outfits and never thought twice about them being on my fingers. They were just rings.

Now this diamond ring is a different thing. This ring has power. This ring is changing my life. Yes, everyone knows the funny things that happen when you get one of these diamond rings... you all of a sudden become very left-handed (even though you are right handed)... you get distracted in mid-sentence because a sparkle catches your eye... you stare at your hand like it is no longer your hand because there is a ring on it... and many other basic, funny things..

While it is fun to stare at my hand, and I am in awe of the beautiful sparkle (Ryan did an awesome job designing my ring..yep, he designed it all on his own!)...the real power of this ring is what it represents. I am no longer the single 32 year old girl who can do whatever she wants... with this ring, I am vowing to share my life with Ryan... to consider him, to support him, to compromise and share, to no longer live my life on my terms but rather on our terms. My life is officially joining Ryan's life. I am going to be a WIFE.

So, while this ring's sparkle (and oh, how it sparkles!) does make me smile...the part that makes me smile really BIG and that makes me feel so content and sure is the true meaning of this ring... I am no longer living solely for me.

1 comment:

  1. Love this! Yes, you are so right - there is NO greater feeling than sharing your life with The One!

    ReplyDelete